Der Bote für TirolView original source

On the History of the Jaufen Pass Road

Summary

Concluding report detailing the route, cost estimates, and funding for the first road construction project across the Jaufen Pass between Passeier and Sterzing. Alternative designs by J. A. G. Hafner and Michael Hofer are also mentioned.

Full transcription

Appendix.

History.

The Road across the Jaufen. 2/2

(Conclusion.)

The inspection took place on September 2, 3, and 4. On this occasion, the course of the road was determined section by section from the local town gate towards Passeier to Sterzing, together with approximate costs; it was divided into 39 sections, running to the right of the Passer to the Finelebach, through Riffian over the Schenna bridge to Saltaus. From there over the bridge towards and above the Kellerlahn to St. Martin. Thence over the bridge towards the Sand through St. Leonhard over the Rosin bridge of the Vistradbach, up along the Vistrad valley through serpentines, out along the mountain up to Karlegg, and finally into Wans. From there out again to Walten, and up to Leiteneben. Then through serpentines to the old path, across the pass, and down on the other side to the inn. From there down along the ridge to Kalch, then winding past Reifenegg Castle to the plain of Bardaun; then across the Ratischinserbach to Mareith; from there down past Gasteig to Sterzing.

Eleven bridges are required, as well as protective roofs, retaining walls, etc. For the construction of this road, solely for labor, timber, and transport, 24,425 fl. were estimated; for powder, iron, requisites, master builder salary, supervision, loan interest, and collection of assessments 7,007 fl., amounting to a total of 31,432 fl.

Next follows the hourly schedule, then the apportionment of contributions, namely from the sovereign authority 8,000 fl., from the provincial estates 3,000 fl. The remainder from the judicial districts, including Kastelbell, Schnals, Schlanders, Glurns, Mals, Mariaberg. Finally, the annual maintenance of the road. Retainer for four road workers up to St. Leonhard, eight up to the Jaufen, and eight to Sterzing, in total twenty road workers at 5 fl. each, 100 fl. For 400 working days of the same, at 15 kr., 100 fl. For wood, haulage, etc., 150 fl. For two foremen who are also cashiers, 200 fl. In total 550 fl.

Here ends the first project. Immediately afterwards, Mr. J. A. G. Hafner produced a second one, which differed mostly from the above; and finally, as a third project, an approximate situational map by Michael Hofer, toll collector near St. Martin, is available, with a very brief general description featuring a tunnel through the Jaufen.

Meran, August 8, 1827. J. A. Jordan.

Also this month

  • Der Bote für Tirol1819–18294 tags

    The Road over the Jaufen Pass (Part 1)

    A historical review of negotiations in 1682 concerning the construction of a road over the Jaufen Pass. Faced with the economic decline of Meran, Mayor Ferdinand Stickler attempted to orchestrate a joint effort among surrounding jurisdictions and communities to establish the transport route.

1827 at a glance

In 1827, public life was shaped by historical studies of Katzenstein Castle, official celebrations for the Emperor's birthday, and the pastoral visits of Prince-Bishop Franz Xaver of Trent. In view of the city's ongoing economic decline, local authorities under Mayor Ferdinand also worked towards the realization of a new road connection across the Jaufen Pass.

Cite & share

"On the History of the Jaufen Pass Road." Der Bote für Tirol, 29 November 1827. https://digital.tessmann.it/tessmannDigital/Zeitungsarchiv/Seite/Zeitung/47/1/29.11.1827/150411/4. https://www.meran-archive.com/en/artikel/1827-11-29-zur-geschichte-der-strasse-ueber-den-jaufen