Historical Notes on the Mountain Community of Hafling
A historical overview examines the background of the mountain community of Hafling from its first mention in 1166 to the establishment of its own curacy in the sixteenth century. Alongside demographic details on farmsteads and inhabitants, the account documents charters by the Prince-Bishops of Trent and agreements with the parish of Mais and Stams Abbey.
Full transcription
Appendix.
Hafling, an inhabited mountain on the eastern side of Meran, belonging to the parish of Mais, appears in the surviving ancient records, among others in the foundation charter of the monastery in der Au near Botzen, now Gries, of 31 October 1166 under the name Haveninge. It presently numbers twenty-one scattered farmsteads separated by a deep valley, divided into seventy-seven house numbers, with approximately 470 inhabitants. According to the consecration charter drawn up on 14 September 1251, the Prince-Bishop of Trent Egno, a Count of Eppan, consecrated the local filial church of St. Catherine and set the consecration feast for the first Sunday after the Assumption of Mary. Long before that, the current curacy church of St. John the Baptist stood across the valley. Yet the local mountain dwellers did not yet have their own pastor. They had to descend for divine service to the parish church in Mais, from where they were pastorally served. On St. John's Eve 1413, the local community concluded an agreement with the parish priest of Mais, Jodok Edelmann, a native of Ulm, under the influence of the conventuals of Stams managing affairs in Mais. Through this, the parish priest bound himself and his successors to send an assistant priest on certain high feast days to administer pastoral duties there. Through a later agreement of the community with the Abbot of Stams, Pelagius Baur, as patron, and the conventual Simon Gaßler, as parish priest in Mais, the establishment of an independent curacy came to pass. "Done on the Friday before the feast of the twelve apostles Saint Simon and Jude after the birth of Christ our dear Lord 1526." The mutually contracted obligations were ratified in the same year, on 9 December, by "the Prince and Infant of Spain, Archduke of Austria etc., Count of Tyrol, Ferdinand (later Emperor) as reigning sovereign, also patron of the aforesaid house of God." The following year, Prince-Bishop Bernard of Cles confirmed them through a charter likewise in German: "Given at Trent. In our castle Buonconsiglio on the 10th day of April after the birth of Christ the 15th hundred and 27th year."
Also this month
- Der Bote für Tirol1819–18295 tags
Supplement to the Chronicle of the Plague in Vinschgau and the Merano Area
A 1638 document from the curacy of Hafling records the outbreak of the plague in the autumn of 1636 around Vöran and Hafling, which claimed 62 lives. To avert the pestilence, the local community donated church banners and vowed to hold solemn processions.
1826 at a glance
In 1826, the custom of replacing New Year's visits with donation cards spread throughout Tyrol. The parish of Mais near Merano successfully used this new practice to collect a considerable sum for needy schoolchildren for the first time. →
Cite & share
"Historical Notes on the Mountain Community of Hafling." Der Bote für Tirol, 17 July 1826. https://digital.tessmann.it/tessmannDigital/Zeitungsarchiv/Seite/Zeitung/47/1/17.07.1826/150268/4. https://www.meran-archive.com/en/artikel/1826-07-17-historische-notizen-ueber-die-berggemeinde-hafling